Monday 27 August 2012

Roman History

 
I hope you are enjoying your Bank Holiday wherever you are and whatever you are doing - the weather down here in Cornwall is pants !!  We started the morning with torrential rain (I'm soooo... glad I'm not one of the poor unfortunate souls who are camping down here in the Southwest this weekend).

So, with it being most unlikely we'd head out somewhere for the day, and whilst the rest of the household slept, I sat down in my crafting space and completed a few pages in my SMASH* Book.  I thought I might as well take advantage of a nice bit of peace and quiet !

For this two page layout I've used some of the pix I took during a recent trip to Wall nr Lichfield in Staffordshire.  There are some very well preserved Roman ruins there, maintained by English Heritage, and we've talked of going over to check them out, but never got around to it.  As we were staying with my Dad for a few days recently following his hospital stay, we were quite close to Wall and it was a great opportunity to get Dad out for a breath of fresh air and a little gentle exercise. 

If you are 'into' Roman history and like to explore the remains of Roman sites, this is well worth a visit and is just beside the famous Roman road - Watling Street.  Unfortunately the Museum was closed when we visited, it opens only on the last saturday each month - according to the notice on the door anyway.   There are apparently 'finds' and artefacts from the excavation of the site on display, so we'll have to time our next visit to coincide with the opening times of the Museum.

On my pages I've used Washi Tape (love this stuff !) journalling cards and a few embellies which I found in my stash - no idea of the manufacturers, but they were just right for my pages and I like the little compass I found amongst them.   I cut out the wording as individual letters using my newly acquired Memory Box alphabet set of dies - I just know I'm going to be using these dies a lot in the future. 

The sun was trying to break through the thick layer of cloud as I sat down to write this, but as I'm just finishing writing it's gone really dark outside.  There's massive black clouds gathering and I think we are in for yet another deluge - oh well, I can always head back to my table of craftiness and do another page or two or some other project to keep myself amused.

Enjoy your day, even if the weather is less than ideal, thanks for taking the time to visit my bloggie today.

3 comments:

sallysbitz2 said...

These are fab scrap book pages. A great way to look back & remember the fun times x

hugs sally x
sallysbitz.blogspot.co.uk

Kathyk said...

"SMASH"ing Wynneth! Lovely pix and a super day out by the looks of it too

All the best

Kathyk

Clare Lloyd said...

fab smashbooking! x