Saturday 4 May 2013

Mixed-Bag of a post...

Happy Bank Holiday Saturday Folks, I hope you have as much sunshine wherever you are as I have here in sunny and warm Essex.  I'm away from home for a few days, visiting my Son en route to taking my Dad home on Monday.

As I'm away from my stash, I don't have any new projects to share with you today, but I've a few pix to share.

Being in Essex for a few days has given me an opportunity to meet up with my lovely crafting pal Lauren.  As we live so far apart, we don't get to spend a lot of time together but when we do we have a ball !  We decided to visit the Birds in the Barn craft shop in Marks Tey on Friday, which has a great selection of crafting goodies and is located in a garden centre with a lovely restaurant.  It was so pleasant sitting outside in the warm fresh air to eat our yummy lunch - a delish chicken and bacon sarnie which Lauren and I shared, followed by a fabulous cheese scone and Dad enjoyed a prawn sarnie. 
 
Dad and Lauren 
 
 Lauren and I (plus small 'prop' from the garden ornaments
 section - isn't he just the cutest little doggie ?)
'


The 'legendary' cheese scone


Lauren, Dad and I were tempted into new stash acquisition amazingly - I was fairly restrained, that is until I saw they had all the fabby Jofy range of stamps by Paper Artsy LOL  I've been able to resist the temptation to get some of these for quite a while, but after seeing them IRL and holding them in my hand, all was lost and they jumped right into my basket!  I'm going to so enjoy using these babies when I get back home, I can tell you.



I guess you all know me well by now and realise I'm unable to manage a day without some sort of crafting activity, this trip is no exception.  I've brought along with me two sewing projects to work on.  First one is a baby quilt I'm making for a pal's daughter - who doesn't want to know the sex of the baby in advance, so I've used fabrics which will be fine for a boy or a girl.  It's in the final stages now as I just have to complete hand sewing the binding around the edges.


The other project WiP I brought with me is my hand sewn hexagon quilt.  I've already cut what I believe is a sufficient number of fabric hexagons and paper templates using my Big Shot and Sizzix dies and I'm hand sewing them whenever I have a spare moment.  Here are a few ready to be joined up into blocks and a small pile cut ready to be tacked to the paper templates.

 
Finally, here's a pic of an unusual 'visitor' we found on our driveway at home the day before we left. 
 
 
I'm guessing it must have been someone's 'pet' and it either escaped or they let it out as it was no longer wanted.  We decided not to touch it as it was making it's way slowly towards an area full of shrubs and off the drive.  I'm not sure it will survive though as I believe they need a fairly warm environment and I'm pretty sure they are not indigenous to the UK (please correct me if I'm wrong about this). 
 
Thanks for visiting today, sorry there were no new projects but as soon as I'm reunited with my stash I'll be creating once again and will share with you.  Meantime, have a great Bank Holiday weekend.

7 comments:

Kathyk said...

No new projects but some fab photos. Gr8 to see you had a good time with Lauren - ah yes, I remember both Birds in the Barn AND those very legendary cheese scones!! I have two of those JOFY's too (but then, you KNEW that, didn't you?). Say Hi to Sir AofS, Mr T and son #1 from us too

Kathyk

Debs M said...

great pix Wynneth, looks like the 3 of you had a lovely time - fabulous stash too - i'm not surprised you couldn't resist! x

Clare Lloyd said...

fab photos. looks like a great time had by all and fab new stash. x

Jayne Hayward said...

Wow Wynneth you do seem to have been a busy bee and both you and your dad are looking very well.

Love the material you have used for your new project quilts and am sure they will be truely loved.

Also those stamps are divine.

Jayne x

Saxo Stamper said...

Hi Wynneth

I think we saw something on the one show about stick insects in Cornwall or Devon in someone's hedge.....

Lovely photos k

Lauren Hatwell said...

Doesn't Andy look dashing and debonnaire in his hat. I don't know what you put in that cheese scone Wynneth but my Mojo has been firing on all cylinders ever since. I had a lovely day with you both. It was great to catch up.

Lovely baby quilt. I know it will be an absolute hit. Gorgeous fabric!

Hope Sticky the stick insect survives. I bet you could hardly believe your eyes :oD

Lx

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

Wow! Lovely pic of you, your Dad and Lauren (&pooch)! How lovely you got the chance to catch up. Hope your Dad settled back home and isn't missing you too much.
Your baby hilt is so precious and your hexagon quilt.....well I'm jealous! Because I also think these are wonderful but I'm pretty sure I'd never have the patience for that-like ever!
I had stick insects when I was a kid :) Sue, Dave and Mary-lol. Hope he found a new home :)
Katie xx