Sunday 24 May 2015

A Quilt for Harry

Happy Bank Holiday Sunday folks, hope you are enjoying the long weekend.

Today I thought I'd give you a break from cards and share pix of the quilt I made recently for my eldest Grandson.

I used 'jelly roll'strips (2.5 inch wide by width of fabric) stitched together in the 'jelly roll race' style.  I just love the randomness of this style of quilt top construction, you just never know how your design will turn out until all the strips have been stitched together. 


I thought that black, grey and white was a safe colour combo for a teenager !

As the quilt top wasn't quite long or wide enough when I'd stitched all the strips together I added a thicker border at top and bottom and then a narrow border around all edges before attaching the binding. 

Adding the extra borders made it into a single bed size quilt and as Harry is already 6'6" and growing, hopefully his feet won't stick out too far at the bottom !  My trusty 'quilt holder' was forced to stand on the stairs in order to show the whole quilt.

Here's a close up shot with the quilt draped over a chair.  In this shot you can see the black fleece backing and the striped fabric I used to bind the edges of the quilt.

Finally, here's the labels I stitched to the back.  The cream one on the left is a commercially stitched one which I bought.  The one on the right was made from a small scrap of calico fabric which I personalised using my amazing Janome Horizon 8900 machine which I received from my lovely Dad last Christmas. 

In this shot you can see the decorative stitch design I used to quilt the layers together and also the blanket stitch I used to attach the binding, all done with black thread.


After finishing Harry's quilt I had enough of the black fleece left over to create another quilt, this time lap quilt size, including some pretty 4 x 4 inch fabric squares I'd had in my stash for quite a long time.  I love it when I can use up scraps to create something new.  I'll share pix of the other quilt in a later post.

I hope you enjoyed your visit today, do drop back soon as I have a few more creations to share with you.

3 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

Wow! It's a triumph Wynneth. He will LOVE IT! Looking forward to seeing your lap quilt too.

Lx

Kathyk said...

Well if Harry doesn't love it then I'll take it because I DO!!! It's fab, Wynneth

Kathyk

catherine said...

Fabulous quilt Wynneth and a great colour choice for him
x catherine